The US Pathfinder Retirement Scheme is a contract-based Pension Transfer Scheme designed to receive transfers from existing regulated retirement schemes specifically for US taxpayers. The scheme is recognised as a Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme (QROPS) by Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) under reference number: QROPS510038.
It provides non-UK residents and those leaving the UK, who are US-connected persons, with the opportunity to transfer their accrued UK pension benefits to a scheme offering:
- Flexible retirement benefits with no requirement to purchase an annuity
- Removal of the limitations of, and future tests against, the UK Lifetime Allowance (£1m from April 2016)
- Tax efficiency; benefits can be paid gross to members depending on residency at the time of taking benefits
- Flexible methods and levels of benefit payments
- Multi-currency options; pension funds can be denominated in currencies other than the Euro
- Portability; individuals may reside in several different locations while their pension scheme remains located in a single tax-efficient jurisdiction
- Open architecture for investments; the Scheme operates completely independently of all investment managers
- Transparent fee structure
- Greater certainty of how growth within and benefits paid from the scheme will be taxed
- An added advantage of the US Pathfinder contract is that it mitigates the additional reporting burdens placed on trust based pensions by and the USA.
Members will receive personalized statements each year for their US tax filings
Under the Malta US Double Taxation Treaty Members will find greater transparency as to how their pension’s assets will be taxed upon receipt in the USA. Potential Members are advised to seek US tax advice before electing to transfer their previously accrued pension rights.
The US Pathfinder Retirement Scheme is a Retirement Scheme registered with the Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA). The Scheme is administered by Trireme Pension Services (Malta) Limited which is authorised to act as a Retirement Scheme Administrator to Retirement Schemes registered under the Retirement Pensions Act 2011 (RPA) as may be amended from time to time.