The US International Retirement Plan (IRP) is an international pension solution for non-resident Americans. Even for those individuals who might one day return to the US, the US IRP offers a tax efficient and compliant retirement structure. It is registered with the Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA). The Plan is administered by Trireme Pension Services (Malta) Limited which is authorised to act as a Retirement Scheme Administrator to Retirement Schemes registered under the Retirement Pensions Act 2011 (RPA) as may be amended from time to time.
The Plan is a Defined Contribution Retirement Plan that provides retirement benefits in the form of a lump sum payment and/or an income stream for life in addition to those provided by retirement plans already established by an individual.
Contributions are usually made from post-tax earnings or from person capital. The Plan does not permit transfers from domestic US retirement plans.
The benefits include:
- No statutory limits on contributions
- No obligation to purchase an insurance annuity on retirement (it is optional)
- No tax on growth of the underlying retirement fund
- A wide range of permitted investments
- Flexibility regarding the timing and structuring of retirement benefits
- Ability to invest into global funds without PFIC charges or reporting
- Discretion over the distribution of the residual fund at death